Polyglot

2011年9月27日 星期二

Conversation Listening- Looking for a Job!!

   Conversation 



Ryan:

Hey, Alex. You look really exhausted. What gives?

Alex:

You don't want to know. I mean, I've been slaving away at my nickel-and-dime job just to keep my head above water.

[Really.] I mean some people think I'm a workaholic,

[Who?] Well, everyone, but I have to put in a lot of overtime just to make ends meet.

Ryan:

Well, why don't you ask your boss for a raise?

Alex:

Huh? The last guy that did that got the ax, an' he was in line for a promotion to supervisor.

Ryan:

Well, you just can't keep working your fingers to the bone for peanuts. [I know, but . . .] Hey. Look. I have connections with a guy who works for a computer company, an' he owes me a favor, and he might be able to pull a few strings an' line you up for an interview.

Alex:

What? You mean like to last job you helped me get, an' then the company went belly up after only a week? I mean fat chance. I'm not going to try selling electronic toilet paper dispensers again.[Hey, that was cool.]

Ryan: No, that was different.

Alex:

Ah, man. Hey, thanks, but I'm still looking, and I'm not going to get my hopes up just because a few other job searches haven't panned out. I'm going to look at my options.

Ryan:

Well, whatever you do, the only way you're going to get ahead is by getting your face out there, an' you're sure to land a better job than you have now.

Alex: Well, I know. Exactly, if I can just get my foot in the door, then I can show my stuff, but I'm not . . . . absolutely not going to kiss up to ANYONE to get ahead.

Ryan:

Gotcha. Hey, I'll give my friend a call, an' see if he can set up an interview.



Vocabulary & Phrases

What gives?: What's wrong?


slave away: work very hard


nickel-and-dime: not worth much


keep your head above water: just barely able to survive in times of money difficulties


workaholic: a person who works a lot


put in overtime: work extra hours


make ends meet: make just enough money to pay for expenses


get the ax: be fired from a job


be in line for: have the expectation of receiving something


work your fingers to the bone: work very hard


(for) peanuts: very little money


have connections: know important people within a company or organization


pull a few strings: influence or control others to one's advantage


line up: make arrangements


go belly up: fail, go bankrupt


fat chance: something that is unlikely to happen


get someone's hopes up: feel like your hopes and dreams will come true


land a job: get a job


get your foot in the door: get a chance to work for or be involved in a business or organization


show your stuff: demonstrate what you can do


kiss up to: try to please someone to get them to do something


gotcha: okay, I got it


listening website :)



http://www.ezslang.com/job-hunting-1.htm

沒有留言:

張貼留言